Thursday, June 11, 2015

Meatless Mondays

In an effort to try to eat more healthy meals and eat more vegetables, I have started doing a "meatless Monday" several months ago.  Since I started this, I have been in awe at all the great vegetarian and vegan meals that are out there - that taste great and have great flavor and textures.  I have been pleasantly surprised!

Going meatless once a week can reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, type-2 diabetes, and obesity.  And going meatless once a week can also help reduce your carbon footprint and save precious resources like fossil fuels and fresh water.

Approximately 1,850 gallons of water are needed to produce a pound of beef!
Approximately 39 gallons of water are needed to produce a pound of vegetables!

Some of my vegetarian meals have included Sweet Earth Natural Foods burritos.  They are amazing! The Anasazi is one of my favorites.  It has Anasazi beans, green chilies, butternut squash, chipolte seitan and ginger.  It is very good.  The seitan is flavorful and has a constancy very similar to meat. There are 15 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber in one burrito and about 300 calories.



My other favorite is the Peruvian burrito.  It has black beans, red quinoa, sweet potato, goat cheese, roasted corn and spirulina.  It has 17 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber.  And about 300 calories.

We have also been getting meals from Green Chef delivered to our house.  It comes with everything you need to make a great vegetarian meal.  So far, everything we have tried, we have liked.  Which, I usually like the meatless things, but my spouse does not.  She has been pleasantly surprised at the things she has liked.  In fact, she recently went to chipolte and got the vegetarian burrito and is addicted to it!

My kids are not as easy, but they will have an omlette or try some of the tofu, seitan and other meat substitutes.  But the point is, we are all making an effort to eat less meat, which I think is a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment