Thursday, June 25, 2015

Farmer's Markets

I really want to start buying my food as local as possible.  I have been very surprised at all the farmer's markets that are going on in the Oklahoma City Metro area!  I am really excited to check out the 23rd Street Farmers Market this Sunday.


The first big reason, I want to shop at Farmers Markets is FLAVOR!  Fruits and vegetables you buy from farmers are the freshest you can get.  They are allowed to vine-ripen, instead of chemically ripen like big chain grocery produce.  It is simply fresh from the farm (the farm down the road!)

Another reason I want to shot at Farmers Markets is because I want to support family farms.  I am already a HUGE proponent of banking and eating at locally owned places.  This is just one more component of that.  You are helping your neighbor stay in business and it tastes better than shopping at Super Walmart.  You can find meats, eggs and cheeses from animals that are cared for without hormones or anti-biotics, that are raised eating real food, grass fed or natural diets, not feedlots and cages.

When you buy locally, you know where your food comes from.  You can meet and talk to the farmers and food artisans that you are buying from.  And you get out and meet the people in your community. I would much rather walk around selecting fresh foods outdoors in the sunshine than wheel a cart through a cold, fluorescent lit store.

No comments:

Post a Comment