Friday, August 7, 2015

Bee keeping

I have been really interested in learning more about bee keeping.  My wife is allergic to bees, so she is not so keen on the idea.  I had hoped that when I get my veggie garden going, I could also get a little bee house.

My friend has a wonderful, huge garden and is planning to grow heirloom veggies this coming year. I got her a bee house for her garden.  I cannot wait to see how it goes for her.  She is also planning to plant flowers in between her veggie and fruits, too, for cross pollination.

It looks similar to this:

The agricultural benefits of bees has been well documented; their pollination services to our agricultural crops are responsible for one out of every three bites of food we eat.
In fact, they are responsible for pollinating more than 90 of our traditionally favorite flowering crops such as apples, asparagus, avocados, blueberries, broccoli, celery, cherries, citrus crops, cranberries, cucumber, kiwis and melons, just to name a few.
The bees need help, and for so long we have relied on them for their incredible food-producing superpowers and the byproducts of their laborious work – it’s time to now help them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment