Thursday, May 28, 2015

Deodorant Intolerance

I have had a metal allergy for as long as I can remember.  It has affected my wearing contacts (to the point I stopped several years ago), the type of glasses I can wear (no metal on the frames), jewelry... barely anything but some small sterling silver hoops in my ears and a sterling silver ring on occasion. If I have metal on my skin, I break out in red, scaly, flaky rash that burns and itches, wherever the metal touches me.

I have had these patches on my cheeks from metal frames on glasses that would touch my cheeks when I smile; patches by my ears where the metal frames rested; patches on my fingers from wearing rings; my ear lobes swollen and red from earrings.  No fun this stuff.  I have even had three years of crazy issues with a tattoo on my calf, where the red ink (containing metal) was being rejected by my skin.  Just the red areas were puffy and swollen and trying to expel the ink.  Crazy!

A few years ago, I started to have issues with my underarms.  The same scaly, red, itchy patches were occurring, but it took me awhile to put two and two together.  It was actually my 10 year old that asked me "what is deodorant made of?"  I read off the contents and there it was - aluminum.  He shouted "You are allergic to metal!"  Smart kid!

I had realized that my deodorant was not absorbing into my skin, but sitting on top of it and creating a big, icky mess.  I would have to scrub it off everyday with a loofa and so I slowly stopped wearing it.  I don't have a big issue with sweating, so I really do not need an antiperspirant, but I do get stinky by the end of the day without something.  I started using a powder, by Perfectly Posh and that helped a lot.  It is great and has a faint scent of lemon berry.



One day, I decided that there must be some vegans or hippie folk out there on Etsy that made something.  I found Aspen Tree Naturals and this great lavender and tea tree deodorant made from organic coconut oil, organic shea butter, organic arrowroot, baking soda, lavender oil, tea tree oil and beeswax.  I was so excited that it came in a typical deodorant type container and that it was metal free.  It is really great stuff.


Because it is not as solid as a typical deodorant, I have actually decided that I don't like the "stick" as much.  I liked it because it was what I was used to but it is sort of goopy.  I scoop some out with my fingers and just rub it on with my hand.  I do the same with the Nature's Purest Gifts Deodorant - my second trial in organic deodorant.  I got the unscented and now wish I had not.  I do like having a little bit of scent.  It isn't overpowering.  It is made from coconut oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, beeswax, baking soda, arrowroot powder and essential oils.  I like it a lot too, but the same thing goes, it is easier to scoop some out with your fingers and rub on with your hand.

I received a coupon from my spouse for Primal Pit Paste, so I think I am going to order some of that next to try.  It is also natural, organic ingredients and you can get it in a stick or a jar.  I am going to try a jar this time, in fact, I am going to order some for my teen boys, too.  I don't like the thought of them putting a bunch of metals and chemicals all over their bodies.

Even if you do not have a metal allergy, I really recommend trying natural, organic deodorant (and other self care products).  We put way too many chemicals on our body.  I have started using a lot of the Perfectly Posh vegan products.  The face wash, moisturizer and body bar that I use everyday is vegan and chemical free.

No comments:

Post a Comment